Alcohol allergy


EmailPrintFriendlyMore

Despite being described in advertisement from the positive side and telling us that drinking alcohol forms traditions, many of us realize, that alcohol has more disadvantages to the person’s health than advantages. Especially, when we talk about products, not responding medical standards. Those products are pure poison for the organism.

A lot of people know that alcohol aggravates chronic diseases, negatively influences our brain, kidneys, liver and other organs. But not many of us are aware of the fact that people can be allergic to alcohol.

Alcohol allergy symptoms

Being allergic to something means hyper sensibility of out body to different substances. Allergy develops after repetitive influence of agents on human organism. Allergy to alcohol is painful, but quite common reaction to alcohol, mainly caused by drinking strong drinks, containing ethanol.

Except ethanol, other ingredients of the alcohol drink can cause allergy to alcohol. For instance, yeast and hop in the beer, or sulfites, used as preservatives in wines. Coloring agents can also cause allergy, as well as polyphenol compounds and flavorings that are used in alcohol manufacturing.

Alcohol allergy can be inherited and developed in the proses of drinking. Inherited alcohol allergy usually develops on either maternal or paternal line in all representatives of the family. Having this kind of alcohol allergy a person cannot drink alcohol at all in any, even smallest amounts. Because alcohol can cause not only vomiting and severe headaches, it can cause an anaphylactic shock!

People who drink low quality alcohol drinks with a lot of colorings and different chemicals can suffer from developed alcohol allergy. Of a person drinks alcohol only occasionally, on different events, he can miss the sign that points out to alcohol allergy, like red stains on his face, hands or neck after having a glass of champagne. Many people think they are allergic to some foods, because there are usually a lot of different dishes on the dinner tables. But other symptoms indicate at alcohol allergy, such as heavy headache, fatigue, sloughing of skin, lowering blood pressure.

Champagne and a lot of wines contain sulphur dioxide, getting into wines with the grapes, worked up with that chemical. Sulphur dioxide is also used as a stabilizer of the first wort in wine manufacturing. Sulphur compounds can cause a heavy allergy in some people.

Another allergy agent is pesticides, used while growing grapes and other crops to manufacture alcohol drinks. Fake wines, cognacs and liqueurs contain herbal or synthetic additives, which can become allergy agents.

How does alcohol allergy develop and what is dangerous about it?

The problem is that to develop alcohol allergy needs quite a long period of time. A person very often does not realize that insidious enemy is  always waiting for its time. at the time, when someone feels that he is allergic to alcohol, the problem is already doing serious harm to a person’s organism.

That is why it is very important to diagnose alcohol allergy in time. It can be done only by very careful attitude to one’s health.

Typical alcohol allergy symptoms:

  • face, hands and body redness after alcohol consumption;
  • nausea, vomiting, stomachache (gastritis);
  • developing of res stains on the face, neck and body, dryness and rash and cracking of skin,  similar to dermatitis or diathesis;
  • skin itching;
  • becoming drunk too fast even after usual dose of alcohol consumption;
  • swollen skin and rash;
  • running nose;
  • heavy headaches and flushing;
  • asthma attacks;
  • changes on blood pressure, usually it becomes higher;
  • body temperature change;
  • tachycardia.

At first alcohol allergy symptoms are not obvious. They can show up only with red stains on the skin. Later, metabolic misbalance is noticed in developing gastritis, worsening of chronic intestines diseases, developing constipations and severe headaches. Panic attacks and  faintings can also be alcohol allergy symptoms.

If special treatment is not started on time, such dangerous symptoms as bronchial spasm (preventing air from getting into lungs), Quincke’s disease (suffocation), hemolytic crisis and anaphylaxis. If there is no ambulance and medical help for half an hour, a person can die. But even doctors can’t save the patient’s life with such allergic reactions of the organism.

Fortunately, a real allergy to alcohol occurs much less frequently than patients diagnose it to themselves. Usually talking about allergies, they complain about alcohol effects on the organism. It can be redness, scouring, developing spots on the skin and its itching, less frequent – developing of small blisters on the skin with clear content. These symptoms are really similar to those that occur when someone is allergic to alcohol. But do not forget that at the festive table, we often have delicacies which are rare in our everyday life. And allergies can be developed because of them!

Some people claim that they are allergic to alcohol because after having injection at the injection spot, treated with alcohol, they have a reaction on the skin surface. But pure alcohol is seldom used in medical institutions and disinfection solution can contain either salicylic or boric acid. Allergic reaction may occur to those components, and not to the alcohol.

Red spots appearance on the body after alcohol consumption may be a consequence of the peculiar reaction of the autonomic nervous system on alcohol. And it is responsible for the sensitivity of the skin and the tone of its vessels. Alcohol consumption results in local vasodilatation, showing up in redness and itching of the skin.

As we can see, patients with unusual reaction to alcohol should not rush to make any conclusions about being allergic to alcohol. If this reaction to alcohol is weak, you can experiment with strong drinks, but seeing the doctor would be even better.

What should we do if alcohol allergy was confirmed? What is the way out of this situation? First — do not drink alcohol at all. The second is to minimize the risk of alcohol allergy developing. You need to follow a few rules to get this effect:

  1. Use only high-quality alcohol, without any colorings, chemical additives, protein compounds and polysaccharides;
  2. Be moderate in drinking. Enjoy the flavor of your favorite drink, and not a condition of unconsciousness from its over-consumption;
  3. Be careful – not all types of alcoholic beverages can cause allergy to alcohol. Notice, after what drink you have alcohol allergy symptoms, and do not drink any more.

After multiple cases of alcohol allergy reaction from alcohol consumption, you should determine if it is connected to the particular drink, its dose or with the fact of alcohol drinking in general.

If you determined more than twice that you have allergic reaction after particular alcohol drink, stop drinking it forever.

If you are allergic to strong alcohol drinks, avoid drinking alcohol drinks with the complex structure, like whiskey, tequila, home-distilled vodka, and try to drink cognac. It contains more tannin, which lowers intestinal barrier penetrability.

If you don’t have allergic reaction regularly and it is m=not connected to a particular alcohol drink and its dose, pay attention to the food you have together with the alcohol you drink. Analyze and test every time to exclude them one by one and see if you are allergic to those products.

Alcohol allergy treatment

Anyone who likes alcohol drinks, being diagnosed with alcohol allergy has a question – how to treat this disease?

The best and the most certain way to get rid of alcohol allergy is to stop drinking all strong drinks, qualified treatment of alcohol addiction, participating in rehabilitation programs in order to learn to live without alcohol.

A lot of alcohol drinks lovers wonder how to recover from alcohol allergy to keep drinking as before but without any allergic reactions to alcohol. Unfortunately to all those people, doctors claim that being addicted to alcohol you can’t do this. Any methods, either psychotherapeutic or medical and physiotherapeutic cannot guarantee avoiding of alcohol consumption consequences, if a person already became an alcoholic.

If there are no signs of alcohol addiction, you can lessen allergic reaction to alcohol by drinking high quality drinks without any colorings and additives. But if you are already allergic to alcohol, the best solution is to stop drinking at all.

When discover that you are allergic to alcohol you should see the special doctor and not try to treat yourself. Most anti-allergy medicines are not compatible with alcohol and may cause unpredictable reactions of organism. The therapist will detect which substance caused allergy . Then he will prescribe detoxication and liver detoxication in the first place. The next step in trating alcohol allergy is prescription of anti-allergic medicines.

If you are allergic to alcohol, cheer up yourself with the fact that you are not allergic to herbs pole or some foods, because you can definitely survive without alcohol, but without good rest and good food you can’t!


Comments are disabled for this article